Re: [OM] Copyright explained by the UK Intellectual Property Office

Subject: Re: [OM] Copyright explained by the UK Intellectual Property Office
From: Ian Nichols <ian.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 13:07:56 +0100
On 9 April 2014 13:13, Piers Hemy <piers@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks, Nathan, it was a clear and helpful presentation. But it needs an
> editor! Consider how the first sentence of this extract is completely
> undermined by the detail which follows:
>
> "The length of the copyright period will depend on when the image was
> created. Generally speaking, copyright
> in images lasts for the life of the creator plus 70 years from the end of
> the calendar year of their death. That
> means that images less than 70 years old are still in copyright, and older
> ones may well be, depending on when
> the creator died."
>
> In other words, what determines the length of the copyright period is
> whether the creator is alive or dead, *not* when the image was created.
> Although I suspect that the detail is either wrong, or incomplete. Which
> only serves to prove that it is an area of great complexity. QED?

Surely, what determines the length of the copyright period is how long the
creator lives or lived after the image was created, not whether they are
alive or dead right now?

Ian

--
Stand firm for what you believe in, until and unless logic and experience
prove you wrong.  Remember: when the emperor looks naked, the emperor *is*

-Daria Morgendorffer