[OM] Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania mini Zuiko-fest report

Subject: [OM] Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania mini Zuiko-fest report
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2014 16:54:34 -0400
Ha.  Maybe you didn't know there was a Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania mini
Zuiko-fest held yesterday.  It was pretty mini since it lasted (I didn't
time it) but I'd guess less than 1 hour.

While on my drive back from Florida to New York I met with Don Holbrook
at the Silver Spring Diner in Mechanicsburg, PA specifically to see and
handle his OM-D E-M1.  My objective was to see if there was a convenient
button on the E-M1 that can be used for focus when focus is removed from
the shutter button.  It took me only a couple of minutes with the camera
in hand to note the AEL/AFL button on the back of the camera next to the
EVF.  Despite having a PDF copy of the E-M1 user's manual I had never
noticed or paid attention to the button before.  With the camera in my
hand it pretty much jumped out at me.  It struck me not only as a button
that was conveniently reachable with the thumb (the same as I use my
Canon 5D) but (given the functions noted on the button) was probably
intended to be used that way somewhere in the bowels of the menu system.

Unfortunately, I no longer have Don's camera in my hands but now that
I'm home and can browse the user's manual in PDF form I have discovered
all that I was looking for (and more) in the table at the bottom of page
98.  The AEL/AFL button has three major modes of operation depending on
whether the camera is set for single AF, continuous AF or MF.  Each of
these modes has 3 or 4 sub-modes which control the effect of the button
on focus and metering.  What I was looking for (single AF removed from
the shutter button, single AF controlled by the AEL/AFL button and
exposure locked by the shutter button at time of exposure) is achieved
by setting the camera to single AF in Mode 3.  A pleasant surprise was
that Mode 3 also performs similarly when in continuous AF or even MF.
Anyhow, I'm a happy camper since what I was looking for is there and on
a very convenient button.

Button placement is much better than the E-M5 and can be operated with
thumb and index finger.  Button placement on the E-M5 requires that I
use my index finger for both buttons (shutter button and the one
controlling focus.

I wish I'd had more time to meet with Don and get to know him better.
He's a true Zuikoholic.  He has practically every OM lens ever made and
I don't know how many 4/3 lenses.  He has no m4/3 lenses but think he
liked my 14-150.  He had the 50/2 macro installed with m4/3 adapter.  I
was surprised at how fast it focused on the E-M1.  He also brought his
Zuiko 50/1.2 which is an impressive lens I'd never seen.

Anyhow, the meeting was too short but fun and productive.  Now the
question is, how badly do I want an E-M1.  I loved holding it and
viewing through the new screen.  But there's another problem... I'm in
the middle of spending lots of money on a new house.  :-)

ps: Both of use were toting cameras but neither thought to take any
photos.  Too much gear talk I think.  But it was fun.

Chuck Norcutt