[OM] The philosophy and practice of another landscape photographer

Subject: [OM] The philosophy and practice of another landscape photographer
From: bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2014 03:35:31 +1300

At the Arrowtown Gallery (http://www.arrowtowngallery.com ) Maggie
bought a photograph by a local photographer, Russ McLean.

See it here
- this one and the next to the right ...

In a later posting
I propose discussing further the appropriate techniques and attributes
of photographs for different markets - all as I reflect on the reasons
why my (mainly landscape) photos are not selling. This photograph
illustrates some of the points have in mind.

I appreciate and agree
with his intent to add drama to a photograph to be made available for
sale. I also have noticed how oncoming changes in the weather can add
drama - but you have to be on the spot at the crucial time ...

However, more specifically, I notice that somehow he has added a
darker hue to a rectangular zone around the margin of this print.

Can
anyone here advise what software will do that?

Maggie and I were
visiting the Arrowtown Gallery when she drew my attention to this print.
She obviously had money burning a hole in her pocket, so I said "Why
don't you buy it then?", so she did. I thought that the photographer and
gallery could do with a bit of custom. The gallery, like many i know in
NZ, derive most of their income from matting and framing ... and not
sales of any kind of image.

I did an internet search on Russ, and it
pulled up quite a presence . See below .. (which includes the print
Maggie bought).

http://www.insyncphotography.co.nz

http://www.insyncphotography.co.nz/wp-content/gallery/landscapes/isp_00230_between-a-rock-a-hard-place.jpg

http://www.insyncphotography.co.nz/about-insync-photography/