Re: [OM] best cell phone service provider in N. Scotland

Subject: Re: [OM] best cell phone service provider in N. Scotland
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 06:57:36 -0400
The phone worked as expected, better than, actually. I spent quite bit of time
on it one night in Cannich, near Loch Affric, which is out past the back of
beyond, but on other occasions it was dead as a fence post. I had my iPhone
with me to, for use in Wi-Fi zones, and even though I was on Verizon’s overseas
plan (didn’t expect to use it, but I had it just in case), we still encountered
mostly dead zones in the Highlands on the Isle of Skye. As I recall, Mull was a
wee bit better.

Check with your cell provider and see if they will allow you to disarm your
phone and replace the sim for the duration of the trip. Verizon would have let
me. I found out after I came back that the clerk who told me I couldn’t do it
was wrong.

No matter how you go, coverage will be spotty, particularly when you get
remote, which I’m sure you’ll want to do.

FWIW, I did have one conversation with my bank via the iPhone. I was standing
out of the wind at Duart Castle on Mull. Could have been standing next to the
clerk at my bank. Clearest call I have experienced on any kind of phone in
_years_. (Buck a minute, though.) Cell service over there, when you get it,
will cause you to weep and gnash your teeth when you get back Stateside and
resume our normal ultra-crappy service.

--Bob Whitmire
Certified Neanderthal