Re: [OM] In case you hadn't heard.... Chris B

Subject: Re: [OM] In case you hadn't heard.... Chris B
From: "philippe.amard" <philippe.amard@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 08:08:44 +0100
Le 21 mars 14 à 07:18, Chris Barker a écrit :

> It is fascinating, thanks, Philippe.  I'll watch that later.
>
> However, I have 2 points to note:
>
> How does he know that the way they spoke changed?

Comparative work between varieties of the language helps a lot.
These include German, Dutch, etc. in the case of English.

Poetry also gives clues.
Think of two words that used to rime/rhyme and no longer do.
Etc.

An aside; French pronounciation has also changed A LOT - and modern
English pronunciation (its RP variety at least) is sometimes closer to
old French/Norman than contemporary French is to it ... hence our
nostalgic love for the accent of our cousins over there in Quebec?   :-)

> Why does he let a device like the smart board (ActivBoard) take over
> the presentation.  His use of the device detracts from the lecture,
> in my view.

True in the very first minutes, yet gloabally not mine because I also
read phonetics.
And I am of the visual type, which should not come as a surprise on a
photo list ;-)

>  I have tried these devices several times at work and they normally
> make me spend too much time facing the board itself – instead of my
> audience.

I tell my students nobody is interested in the brand of their jeans
and that I will petrify them if they look at the screen...
Anyway, I wish I could use this kind of interactive board with half as
much success as he does.
The golden rule for oral presentations is at least 80% eye contact. I
guess he is up to standards.

What I liked most was his ability NOT to mix up the so many subtle
varieties of the sounds - there's only one cut in the whole video ...

Amities
Philippe

> Chris
> On 20 Mar 14, at 22:02, Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Fascinating, indeed. It really bugs me this guy speaks better
>> English than I do. And knows why, as well. <g>
>>
>> --Bob Whitmire
>> Certified Neanderthal
>>
>> On Mar 20, 2014, at 5:00 PM, philippe.amard <philippe.amard@xxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Fascinating
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyhZ8NQOZeo
>>
>> --

to the eye. Antoine de Saint Exupéry in Le Petit Prince.
NO ARCHIVE