Re: [OM] Art buy

Subject: Re: [OM] Art buy
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 13:34:17 -0700
On 3/13/2014 3:31 AM, Wayne Harridge wrote:
> Ok, so what are the rules/laws governing what you can do with an art work ?

Depends on where you live. I thought I was clear that I am talking about US
copied right law.

> So you spend some money to "purchase" the art work but you can't make a
> photograph of it and put it on your website ?

I don't know the subtle details. You may certainly not use it for commercial
purposes. Post it on FB, your web site,
etc. with the comment "Look at the cool thing I bought!" and you may be legally
OK, almost certainly practically OK.

> What can you do with that art work, destroy it, give it away, display it in
> a public place, etc. ?

All of the above. But you may not sell copies or otherwise use it for
commercial purposes.

> My take on this is that if you payed for it it's yours and you can do
> whatever you like with it !

Then stay in OZ, 'cuz that ain't the law here.

The law retains rights for all uses of the image/art beyond ownership and
display of the original or copy purchased -
UNLESS - the purchase includes written, signed transfer of all or specific
limited rights to the buyer.

I imagine such documents would be an important part of sales of valuable
originals and perhaps limited editions. In the
podunk little places I occasionally buy art, they don't yet seem aware of any
issue.

It isn't ALL nonsense. Consider the artists from whom I buy various prints,
postcards, etc. That doesn't, and shouldn't,
give me the right to reproduce and sell them myself, without specific purchase
of those rights.

I have several Bob Whitmire prints, but not the right to reproduce them. That
seems right to me.

OTOH, I have a watercolor done by a sometime friend that I bought through her
Co-Op. There is only one copy in
existence, mine, and she has no image record of it at all. She's in her 80s,
and won't be around forever. What rights do
I and my heirs have later?

Most likely, this will largely shake out as artists, galleries, co-ops, etc.
start to stamp notices of limited rights on
the back/bottom or include clear releases with sales.

Imaged Rights Moose