Re: [OM] Computers

Subject: Re: [OM] Computers
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2014 07:51:13 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>Chris wrote :
>"After my last partial system crash I decided to keep all data files on an
>external hard drive.  Not that I have a huge number of data files, but
>rather that I would not care to lose any of them."
>
>Perhaps you'd be interested in my approach to files and backup.

     <<SNIP>>

     Your method is far more rigorous than mine, but then you have a lot more
at risk than I do.  Something else I have done is to take data files that are
permanent, such as PDF files of magazines, and save them on CDROMs.  I'm much
more comfortable with this than saving them to a mechnical hard drive, provided
that I store them in plastic cases and not in those questionable paper and
plastic sleeves.

     Because of the professional and semi-professional work that I do, I have a
number of filing cabinets that are stuffed full with paper (aka treeware)
documents, most of which are not available in any electronic format unless I
want to spend the rest of my life scanning them.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson