Re: [OM] IMG: Assad Portraits

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Assad Portraits
From: Tina Manley <images@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 15:39:14 -0500
When we lived in Iran, every single shop, no matter how small, had huge
portraits of the Shah.  I'm sure the secret service came around to be sure
they were displayed.  In Iraq, there was not enough electricity to run the
air conditioning in the hospitals when it was 120F, but every street corner
had huge portraits of Saddam Hussein lit up with hundreds of lights.  It
seems the worse the dictator, the bigger the portraits!

Tina

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 3:14 PM, Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 2:05 PM, Tina Manley <images@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > PESO:
> >
> > There were portraits of the ruling Assad family everywhere in Syria:
> >
> > http://www.pbase.com/image/154557702
> >
> > What surprised me is how awful most of them are!
> >

> That's something we've never really seen here.  I've seen photos from
> China, the Middle East, from the USSR, of big banners of the leaders
> hanging everywhere.  It must be a difference in culture plus ego.
> --
>
> Paul Braun
> Certified Music Junkie
>
> "Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life." -- Berthold
> Auerbach
> --

Tina Manley