Re: [OM] FL-600R

Subject: Re: [OM] FL-600R
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 21:14:38 -0500
Wow!  These are some big beasties.  I wouldn't have a clue about how to
use these properly.  The burn time is so long (even on the fast burn
bulb) that shutter speed becomes important... unlike small electronic
flash where shutter speed is immaterial to the light produced by the flash.

I wouldn't know how to go about determining exposure.  I think test
shots would be prohibitively expensive.

ps:  There are some great gallery shots there but the one I found most
intriguing was this one of the rocket sled.
<http://www.meggaflash.com/gallery?AG_MK=0&AG_form_paginInitPages_1=1&AG_form_albumInitFolders_1=/gallery2&AG_form_scrollTop=0&AG_form_scrollLeft=0&AG_MK=0?

The slowest burn time bulb is the PF200 with burn time in excess of 40
ms.  The rocket sled is traveling at 4800 ft/sec. or 4.8 ft per ms.
During the 40 ms burn time of the flash bulb the sled travels 192 feet.
  So, unlike more conventional electronic flash scenarios we are used
to, even the fastest meggflash bulb can't freeze the action.  Yet the
rocket sled does seem to be frozen... except for the background which is
very blurred horizontally.  Conclusion:  The camera was panning with the
sled, or more correctly, moving along with the sled.  Somehow the camera
and flash had to be moved parallel with the sled at nearly the same
speed as the sled in order to freeze the motion.  I wonder how that was
done!

Dr. (small electronic) Flash