Re: [OM] OT: 27 Staggering New Pictures Of The Somerset Levels Floods

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: 27 Staggering New Pictures Of The Somerset Levels Floods
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 06:32:58 +0000
There are some who might agree with you with regard to the Levels, Chuck, but
there presumably was some sort of expectation on the part of the inhabitants
that the authorities would maintain the anti-flood measures.

Just to the north of me is the Fens of East Anglia, drained in the 17th century
(with the help of those wonderful Dutch engineers).  It's therefore a flood
plain, and there are water meadows to help to absorb rainfall when it comes and
before it can be drained to the sea.  It's reasonable for the inhabitants to
assume, I reckon, that the current anti-flood measures will remain effective
for the forseeable future.  I suspect that the Levels' inhabitants took the
same view.

In addition, I have been listening to interviews with inhabitants who have been
there over 40 years without a major problem.

Chris