Re: [OM] swans

Subject: Re: [OM] swans
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 13:07:10 -0600
> FWIW we have trumpeter (pictured) and whistling swans which were on the
> edge of extinction. See the straight neck.  Now coming back partly due
> to lead shot and DDT reduction. Mute swans are weeds.

Where I grew up in Michigan, the first nesting pair of mutes arrived,
I think, in 1982. Quite the sight, and we were welcoming to the
beautiful creatures. There are HUNDREDS of the vermin now. All told,
Michigan has somewhere over 16000 of them. No shortage of them and
they are about as prolific as the geese. A little bit more inbred,
though.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx