Re: [OM] IMG: Ridge Walking

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Ridge Walking
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2014 16:35:34 -0600
On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 4:23 PM, Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > It's like iron workers doing that on steel beams 47 stories up in the
> air...
>
> Or tower climbers 2000' in the air. There comes a point where you
> trust your sense of balance and ability to grip ahold of something.
> Key elements of survival. I won't do it because I don't trust either.
> But I trust myself to walk down a narrow sidewalk without falling over
> into the grass. The same sidewalk, suspended over the Grand Canyon,
> would be a no-go for me.

It's been a while since I've climbed, but I think the highest I've been is
250'.  My own tower, back when I lived on the farm, was 100'.  I had my own
climbing belt (I think it's still in the garage).  However, when my one
friend would come over to help, often he'd stay on the ground and work the
guide ropes and I'd get to use his belt - a nice, wide leather lineman's
belt with a comfy back brace.  But back then, I was a teenager and climbing
didn't beat me up so much.  You haven't lived until you've climbed a tower
in the middle of winter to knock some of the ice loose from the elements of
the yagis so they didn't just snap.  And I had to replace a bracket.  YOU
try gripping a 7/16" nut with fingers that have just pulled you up 100' of
steel tower in 5 degree weather.....

--

Paul Braun
Certified Music Junkie