Re: [OM] Recreating Masterpieces

Subject: Re: [OM] Recreating Masterpieces
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2014 21:47:23 -0800
On 2/3/2014 8:36 PM, Paul Braun wrote:
> On 2/3/14 22:33 : , Moose wrote:
>> On 2/3/2014 6:48 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
>>> No complaints from me. A masterful job.
>> You guys don't think it's a little bit creepy?
>>

> Aside from the fact that I personally don't care for the "Old Masters",
> yes, I did.

Too big a generalization for me. I find that reproductions, even supposedly
good ones, aren't very engaging. OTOH, the
originals are often very interesting to me. The artistry and technique often
amaze me.

But it varies so much by individual artist, subject and period.

People talk about Rembrandt's use of light. I'd almost call it his use of
shadow. It almost always engages me.

Then again, there are revisions of opinion, I thought I liked Vermeer. Then I
saw six originals at the Met in 2009. At
the entrance to the exhibit, they had reproductions of all 36 known Vermeers,
and then the six to view close at hand. I
realized I only actually liked 2-3 of his known paintings. Oh well.

Old Master Moose