[OM] Pins and Needles

Subject: [OM] Pins and Needles
From: "Bob Benson" <bob.benson91@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 11:05:31 -0600
Ahhh, it's like waiting for a wedding (or perhaps funeral) to start, or
perhaps waiting to go on stage for a performance .  one sits and reflects.

I've been lurking on this list for, oh boy, much more than ten years, well
before digital got started, and have gotten to "know" a lot of the members.
So in a small way,  a bit like a community.  So you'll pardon my reflections
here .

As you probably noted from previous notes,  I've got a show opening tonight,
forty images, with a theme of Kansas beauty and colors (I know, I know,
some of you might think of this as a contradiction in terms).  It's about my
sixth individual show, but feels somewhat different because it's in a School
of Art gallery . which guarantees fairly sophisticated folks at least in
their minds.  Profs, students, other faculty, board members, etc.  Not
unwilling to express opinions.  Welcome of course .

But the pins and needles part of it:  those many of you that have done
photography as a profession and a business are probably reasonably inured to
the uncertainties that arise,  the question always in the background - will
the work measure up?  (As an aside, this is one reason this OM list is so
energizing - aside from the broad OT discussions, a lot of sharing of images
and commentary occurs; while technical stuff is discussed and, even, of
manufacturers and products [so much of what other lists do],  the really
interesting stuff is expertise demonstrated in actual images, not just
opinions.)  But for us that haven't been so professionally engaged over a
career,  that question of measuring up is always there.  I admire everyone
on the list willing to share images and make and receive useful comments.
Again, this OM list has so much to aspire to:  not just technical
performance (ETTF?  Software?  Full-frame euphoria, oh boy) but composition,
color/emphasis/BW, etc.)    And at least on the technical side it is such a
moving target.

Anyway, the pins and needles part:  actually two parts - will the work
measure up, and I'll have much to contemplate from the response of the folks
there - the second part unfortunately is about weather,  with some
possibility of freezing rain/snow about show time.  Will the folks actually
show up?  So we'll see .. as in all things, a learning experience.

Bob Benson

PS:  one technical thing y'all might be interested in - I'm experimenting
with a different media for presentation in this show.  I'm using a
graphics/signage company with a Fuji flat-bed printer (the Acuity series)
normally used for printing (outdoor) signs.  We're printing directly on
half-inch white foam board, 2 or 3 inch margin mimicking matting in a small
metal frame.  Eliminates glass (glare),  exceptionally light,  using small
Velcro strips for wall mounting, and a lot less expensive than traditional
printing/matting/framing.  A lot!   Doing 30x40 and 22x28 images.  This
gives flexibility (I can put the result directly into standard photo frames)
and panders to four-thirds form factor.

So a big part of the pins and needles:  how will this appeal to the
audience?   In terms of sales, I'm offering a standard frame/glass option
for those interested,  although my experience is that buyers are often more
inclined to frame themselves.  We'll see.