Re: [OM] OMD-EM1 offer

Subject: Re: [OM] OMD-EM1 offer
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 10:19:55 -0600
> Very nice indeed. A real photographers camera. If they would ad IBIS and
> there would be a 0,7x adapter for *all* my Zuiko's, I would be seriously
> tempted.

I believe we've FINALLY reached the point where we're seeing the next
logical replacement to the DSLR happening. SONY has certainly been
pushing it with their DSLR style mirrorless cameras that combine the
best of both worlds, but the Olympus thing has all been about size and
weight. I disagree. I believe that mirrorless is about a logical
advancement and application of technology, not a change in what a
camera is supposed to look like. Small and Light only satisfies some
photographic needs.

The X-T1 is still on the dimunitive size, and uses native lenses. When
Canon and Nikon come out with their DSLR style bodies, which have the
exact same mounts (not with some stupid adapter), the transition will
have arrived with a vengence. I have no doubt that this really long
silence from Canon is them actually prepping the mirrorless camera
that the Canon user really wants. I'd certainly prefer a EOS-7DM or
EOS-6DM to anything we've seen so far. EOS-5DMKIVM? OMGY, I'll deal
with SWMBO later.

The fact is that nearly all cameras with 18MP, and greater, will have
a nice long-term play at this point. I consider the 2014 minimum
standard for future-resistance (three or more year ownership life) to
be 18-24MP. 16MP sufficient? The Kodak DCS 14n was introduced in 2002,
folks. 16MP is ancient tech. Between 24MP and 36MP we have the point
of diminishing returns. We are certainly running up against the
optical limits with current sensor surface technology. The NEX-7
proves that point.

All eyes are on Canon.

--
Ken Norton