[OM] formaggio, was Siddiq's PAD - Vittorio

Subject: [OM] formaggio, was Siddiq's PAD - Vittorio
From: Siddiq Siddiqui-Ali <muhammad.siddiqui-ali@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 01:30:58 +0000
On Jan 27, 2014, at 4:41 PM, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 1/27/2014 7:08 AM, Chris Trask wrote:
>>> Parmigiano Reggiano is the one cheese I'll miss when I die :-)
>>>
>>> Same with the wine ;-)
>>> http://gallery.leica-users.org/d/324396-1/Faenza-0222.jpg
>>> (shot in Emilia-Romagna last year)
>
> I've become a Pecorino Romano guy.
>
> I use a LOT of cheese in my famous Caesar salad and many potential consumers
> do don't do bovine diary.
>
> The second reason illustrates the Costco effect. They sell big chunks of
> cheese at low prices. Their Parmigiano Reggiano
> was mediocre when I tried it. The Pecorino Romano they sell is excellent.
>
> Yes, I know the arguments. Yes, I've had primo parmesan. All food is
> ultimately a matter of taste, and I really like
> this cheese, which also happens to be quite inexpensive.

I've been spoiled now, and get aged P-R from a co-op dairy in the town my wife
goes back to once or twice a year. The drive to/from is a voilation of the
sense of smell, but worth it.

Speaking of, do try Humbolt Fog, it's from your neck of the woods (relatively
speaking) and I find it delightful. A bit astringent, but nothing a drizzle of
honey won't smooth out.

Siddiq