[OM] The world is a mystifrious place

Subject: [OM] The world is a mystifrious place
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 22:10:11 -0800
As reported, I put together my new desktop box and it worked first try. I
loaded some of my key apps, then moved it from
the manufacturing area (dining room table) to next to my desk, so I could use
wired Ethernet to transfer things from the
old box.

Within a few minutes, the old box got weird. When started, it would either
immediately start beeping like crazy or start
booting windows and, at about five passes of the caterpillar, reboot. After a
bit, it started telling me it couldn't
find bootmgr.

This was a quite low mileage HD. Back in June, I figured six years or so on my
boot disk was pushing my luck, and I had
an identical HD that had hardly been used at all. So I cloned and replaced. Now
I put the old disk in - exactly the same
result. I gave up for now on the old box and put the current disk from it in
the toaster on the new box. Even easier and
faster to transfer stuff.

The question is, why did I finally get off my duff and order the bits I'd been
contemplating for months just in time to
step off the sinking ship?

a. Karma
b. Synchronicity
c. Unconscious precognition
d. ????
e. None of the above; the old box died of jealousy.

Continuing weirdness ---

I had taken an offer from onOne to download an older version of Perfect Effects
for free to try it out. I never got
around to trying it. Today, I got an email offer to download a fully licensed
copy of *Perfect Effects 8 Premium
Edition*, list $99, for free. It only works on 64 bit PS and LR, which I happen
to have just acquired. Hmmm, just tried
it, and it's what it says it is. Damn! Just did a nice B&W conversion of
Brian's Ponderosa Pines.

What's next? I discover that my favorite down/up sampling app, Fred Miranda's
SI Pro 2, doesn't work in PSCC, even 32
bit. There's been nothing new there for years, so I think it's toast.

OK Universe, I'm ready for a better replacement to drop in my lap! :-)

So much to do, so much to do ...

No comparisons, for obvious reasons, but this box sure is faster. Using
plug-ins that open the whole app from within PS
were a big pain before, a snap now. More effects fun! :-)

Zooom Moose