[OM] Mid-Winter Hike

Subject: [OM] Mid-Winter Hike
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 09:42:03 -0600
Yesterday, I went on my annual mid-winter hike. Every year, on a nice
day in January, I venture out for a few hours of hiking at some nearby
state park. Fortunately, I'm only two miles from one here, so it
wasn't much of a drive.

This hike was a total of 6.2 miles and went around the lake. The wind
was picking up and the trail conditions very rough (icy in places,
trudging through snow in others), so for half the hike I just walked
along the road.

The sky was classic winter sky with sun and scud clouds. As the hike
progressed, so did the cloud scape and it was showing that we were
going to be in for big blow. That big blow did hit a couple hours
later with 50mph winds and an instant 15 degree drop in temperatures.
But I was safely at home eating supper with the family by that point.

Other than the cellphone, (which doubles as a whole myriad of other
things), I had no digital camera. This was a hike with the OM-3Ti
(cold, batteries), 28/2, 100/2, contrast filters and several rolls of
B&W film. All told, I went through one and a half rolls of film, with
nearly all taken with the 28/2. Wow, is that a sweeeeeeet lens. It
never ceases to amaze me.

There are several thousand geese that winter over at this lake and I
came around a corner and caused a mass launch of around 2000 of them.
Honestly, it sounded like a squadron of helicopters.

My feet are sore, but my head is a lot clearer. There is nothing like
three hours of fresh air and hard work. Especially when carrying a
camera.

To reward myself, I made an omelet this morning. I had studied up on a
few things and wanted to try it out. Two eggs, some ham and colby
cheese. I've got a decent pan that isn't eggsactly an omelet pan, but
does good enough. Two eggs, very well beaten with a splash of milk.
The ham warmed and then set aside. A goodly sized pat of REAL butter,
brought to a nice sizzling state (burner set to about 6/10). Poured
the egg in and stirred until setting, then tilted and pulled so the
uncooked egg moves over to the half of the pan now exposed. Did that a
couple times. (this is really quick). Added the ham and cheese, a
touch of salt and a bunch of fresh ground pepper. Did the 1/3 fold and
then slid it off onto the plate while flipping the 1/3 over with the
pan. Topped with some parsley. It was slightly runny (very slightly),
but very light and fluffy. It had just a touch of color, but not much.
If I can get it just a touch less runny to OUR preference, I'll be
happy. It certainly was NOT rubbery.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx