[OM] [OT} Windows 8

Subject: [OM] [OT} Windows 8
From: Brian Gray <bsg017@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 12:45:35 +0000
   Several OMers have asked why W8 is so unpopular.  My view is that it is
   too big a change from previous versions and requires one to learn too
   many new ways of working even when using as a non touch screen
   computer.  I have seen lots of demonstrations and have lots of notes,
   so I know a good deal about how it can be used.  But unfortunately when
   my new W8.1 laptop was delivered the other day, I was not in a position
   to easily access my written notes and my 20 years experience with
   Windows OS computers from Windows for Workgroups, via W95, W98, XP,
   Vista and W7 was barely sufficient to allow me to set it up and connect
   to the internet; I failed to customise several settings - and I had to
   struggle into my written notes to shut down. Why could I not easily
   access written notes? - I am working one handed after breaking my
   humerus after slipping on ice.  I expect the laptop will be easier to
   use if and when I plug a mouse in instead of using the touch pad
   but......     I have no problems using the household's Windows Vista
   and Windows 7 machines and had not seen reasonably priced basic laptops
   advertised for sale with Windows 7 before I ordered my new toy.
   Brian Gray