Re: [OM] Abstract?

Subject: Re: [OM] Abstract?
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 01:10:48 -0500
Don,

In art, Abstract art means non-representational art. That mans art that is
about shapes and form, not a recognizable subject. Here's an example of an
abstract painting, by Robert Motherwell. He was one of the pioneers of
Abstract Expressionism, a movement that began in the United States in the
1950s.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Robert_Motherwell%27s_%27Elegy_to_the_Spa
nish_Republic_No._110%27.jpg

Here's another example of abstract art, by Mark Rothko.
http://uploads1.wikipaintings.org/images/mark-rothko/no-5-no-22.jpg

Abstract art is about form and shape, and can involve color, like Rothko's
work, or can be black and white.

Photography is a form of art most suited to representational art, rather
than abstraction. It can be done, though. Aaron Siskand is a great example
of a photographer who produced abstract photos. Here's one of his:

http://www.aaronsiskind.org/gal0903.html

This is a photo of lines on a street made by repair crews pouring tar into
cracks in the road surface. By working close to them, he created an
abstract design whose original subject matter is not readily identifiable.

Here's one of my photos that is abstracted:
http://chriscrawfordphoto.com/chris-details.php?product=335

Some people might even say that these two photos are abstract, because
they are so formalist in composition, though the subject is still
identifiable.

http://chriscrawfordphoto.com/chris-details.php?product=332

http://chriscrawfordphoto.com/chris-details.php?product=333

Hope this helps some. Abstraction is a real challenge for the
photographer, since our medium is so strongly tied to the real world by
its basic nature.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography