Re: [OM] Scanning Question

Subject: Re: [OM] Scanning Question
From: "Jon Mitchell" <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 22:53:03 -0000
Hi Ken,

Thanks for the confirmation.  Guess I'm off to buy a whopping big external
hard drive (well, 2 - got to have a backup !).

I'm intrigued by your thoughts on DNG vs TIF.  I went for DNG as that is
what I save my e330 files to on import to LightRoom.  However, thinking
about it, my logic there is that there is a backup of the .orf file kept
elsewhere and I also embed the .orf file in the .dng - so I can always get
the .orf file back if I need to.  Tried that with a .dng from VueScan and it
says there are no embedded files.  Looks like I am at risk there from the
DNG file format.  My experiments seem to show that when you ask VueScan to
save the file as RAW, it saves this as a TIF anyway - so what is the
difference in just saving it as TIF (assuming I leave all the Colour &
Filter settings alone) ?  Is the "RAW" TIF, as the name implies, just the
RAW data from the scanner - but the non-RAW TIF has had some adjustments
done ?  That would tie in with the exposure differences I have seen so far.

What started off as a simple "what resolution and bit depth is good enough"
question has quickly become so much more !  Thanks guys - I am learning more
here than I have playing with VueScan, the Minolta, and LightRoom.

Thanks,

Jon