[OM] Laptops R Us

Subject: [OM] Laptops R Us
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 16:13:35 -0600
I needed to get my wife a new laptop. We had ordered a new one direct
from Lenovo, but the unthinkable happened--it was DOA. You would
expect that from a lesser brand, not Lenovo.

The bad thing was that she needed the computer, post-haste, so we
zipped down to the local Beast Boy and selected one from the
gazillions there. It was a good thing, and a bad thing...

The bad thing, which I'll get out of the way right now, is that it
cost several hundred more than the one we originally ordered. The good
thing is that it was worth it.

We picked up a mid-level Lenovo Yoga. This computer is ultra-thin,
ultra-light, has the screen flip around for tablet style use and has a
screen that is simply jaw dropping good. I think it is noticably
better than the Apple Retina screen. I pulled up a calibration
photograph and had to do NO adjustment. None. Wow!

I am somewhat jealous, but I do get her hand-me-down computer. It's a
3 year old Lenovo X100e which we had custom ordered. I will have to
gut the hard drive out and restore it to the original Windows 7 load
just to get rid of the software rot/bloat/virus stuff that kills old
computers. There is a little problem with the arrow keys, which I
think I know the cause of, which just another partial disassemble will
address, but otherwise it is still in exceptional shape. This is the
first computer that she hasn't totally killed in three years.

At least, that is what I'm hoping. I really love that little X100e and
have a budget amount set for restoring it. The screen is small, but it
is also quite good for color and contrast. The battery is still in
good shape (it's off the back so no heat issues with it). Once I get
my world installed on the X100e, I'm hoping for another two years out
of it. It's small enough and light enough that I won't even bother
carrying the iPad, unless as a second screen. Air-Display rocks.

When we custom ordered the X100e, we had the processor, memory and
version of Windows 7 upgraded. I think we also opted for a better
display driver, but I'm not sure about that. It even has a pretty red
case. Regardless, I've been circling for some time. If we can get two
more years out of this thing, it really offsets the higher price of
her Yoga.

I'm looking to finally getting around to retiring the old Gateway
laptop this year. It's held together with baling wire and chewing gum.
Barely functional. But it is running some software that I never could
get to work on the desktop beast. And I'm looking forward to carrying
around a tiny laptop. I got the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 as part of this
plan.

So, anyway, back to the core of all this--the Lenovo Yoga, mid-level,
with the high-grade multi-touch screen, is VERY worthy for
photographers wanting a portable computer that is excellent for
viewing and editing photographs. The only real limiting factor is the
128GB SSD. Honestly, I don't know if this laptop has a cooling fan or
not. It's been totally silent.

I think what we'll do is when the X100e croaks, I'll get a new laptop
for her and I'll take her old one again. Just not TOO soon.

AG

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx