Re: [OM] Kingston SSDNow V300 Series SV300S37A/240G 2.5" 240GB SATA III

Subject: Re: [OM] Kingston SSDNow V300 Series SV300S37A/240G 2.5" 240GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - Newegg.com
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2014 15:59:57 -0800
On 1/4/2014 10:41 AM, JOHN DUGGAN wrote:
> Chuck,
>              I am sure that I am not the person to give you computer
> advice...   ;-)>   ...BUT....My Dell Studio running Windoze Vista had become
> almost un-useable. Decided to bite the bullet, installed SSD as primary hard
> drive, moved factory installed hard drive to bay 2 and installed windoze 7.
> Machine now boots up quickly, (about 30 secs) does not hang and works as it
> should have from new. Undoubtably  Vista was part of the problem but I am
> pleased that I now have a useable machine for a reasonable outlay. if I had
> been able to buy an SSD for the price you quote it would have been a
> no-brainer. Only downside is that I have to juggle Windoze 7 and Mountain
> Lion on different machines. ;-)>

That's certainly an excellent price. I upgraded my little Acer last year, and
it did perk things up. You don't get the
full benefit of the SSD, as the SATA interface in the computer isn't nearly as
fast as the drive, but I think it was
worthwhile.

I recall you have an older version of Acronis. That may do the trick for you. I
used Macrium Reflect Free, and rather
liked it. The Acronis I have and the other one I tried didn't allow me useful
control over partition sizes. Moving from
256 GB to 240, there was some problem with the size of the special system
partitions the computer uses, and Reflect
allowed me precise control.

Initially, I had boot problems. Installing a different/updated Intel driver
fixed that. Apparently it is needed only on
some systems.

Solid State Moose