[OM] IMG: Children with Dead Pig

Subject: [OM] IMG: Children with Dead Pig
From: Tina Manley <images@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2014 19:33:23 -0500
I'm going to disagree on this one, Moose. The kids' expressions, postures,
clothes tell a story even if you don't know about the pig. I included the
story because I thought it was interesting but I don't think it is
necessary for the photo to be a document of their lives.

Documentationally,

Tina

On Thursday, January 2, 2014, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 1/1/2014 2:13 AM, Chris Barker wrote:
>> That's an interesting story, Tina.  I'm impressed that the kids were
able to take the initiative like that.

> Tina, if you are wondering why no response, I think it's because,
although the story is interesting, the image doesn't
> tell that story, or any other particularly interesting story. It's a few
kids sitting, doing nothing, and part of some
> unidentifiable animal.
>
> Your many, many interesting images largely succeed for two reasons.
First, you are really good at getting people to open
> up, in facial expression, interest, body language, etc. Such images are
inherently interesting to almost all people.

> Second, many tell stories in themselves, without the need to explain. The
rest are mostly portraits, with that special,
> reacting/interacting to Tina quality, and of people you found interesting
in the first place. I'll bet 98% of your good
> stuff is either portrait or tells a story.
>
> I've read more than one artist and/or critic saying some version of "If
it has to be explained, it's not successful."
> Sure people may be curious, ask questions, who, what, where, why, how -
after the fact, but it's the initial internal
> reaction to the image that's important.
>
> I've just had the opportunity/fun of showing my second book to two
different friends in that last two days. Questions
> only came about images that had already engaged them. Eyes just passed
over those that didn't engage and the page was
> turned.
>
>> The image would benefit from a little Levels action (bring each end to
the histogram) and Curves (lower half of the curve a bowed down a little).
 Moose would be able to explain it more clearly.

> Sure, but it wouldn't help.
>
> Tina is a technically accomplished photographer, but her images are
special because of the factors above. To this
> jaundiced eye, this image may be made technically much better, but never
particularly interesting.

> Tell It Straight Moose
>
> --
> --