Re: [OM] IMG: Cable Splicing, was Squirrel Attack

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Cable Splicing, was Squirrel Attack
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2013 20:31:19 -0600
Probably not technically a "backbone" cable, (those are rarely hanging
in the air, except by two-bit wannabe carriers that built that junk
back in the '90s), but can contain some heavy duty traffic. I am
curious as to which company had that fiber.

In case anybody is wondering what a fiber can carry these days, I'll
illustrate with a pretty commonly used technology:

2 fibers (transmit and receive)
80 channels of DWDM (Dense Wave Division Multiplexing) providing the
ability to transmit and receive 80 distinct signals (lasers) over a
single pair.
10x10Gb mux. Ability to combine 10 OC-192 equivalent signals in a
single wave (laser).
One OC-192 is the equivalent to 192 DS3.
One DS3 contains 28 DS1s
One DS1 contains 24 DS0s.
One DS0 is equivalent to a single voice telephone call.

So, 24x28x192x10x80 = 103,219,200 telephone calls or 17 Netflix
streams. That 48 fiber could conceivably carry 2.5 BILLION phone
calls.

Actually, it gets even crazier. With packet audio, (VoIP, etc), we can
calculate an 8:1 factor on that so multiply the above numbers by 8.

AG

On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 8:00 PM, Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> here are three images from the fiber optic cable repair that took place
> today behind my home.
>
> The technician made the first end repair in his portable repair
> trailer.  The second end was done outdoors, in bright sunlight. Here he
> is preparing a splice on a single fiber strand, with 47 to go.
>
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Splicing+Fiber+Strand.jpg.html
>
> Each of these "backbone" cables contains 4 colored cables, each made up
> of 12 fiber strands.  Here is an idea of the size.
>
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Fiber+Cable+and+Strands.jpg.html
>
> The completed splice is enclosed in a plastic enclosure which is
> suspended from the cable.  In this case approximately 100 ft of cable
> was replaced.
>
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Splice+Enclosure.jpg.html
>
> Comments and critiques welcomed.
>
> --