Re: [OM] Italian tones in the New World [was IMG: Tunes and tones]

Subject: Re: [OM] Italian tones in the New World [was IMG: Tunes and tones]
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2013 00:50:48 -0600
On 12/25/13 00:40 : , Moose wrote:

>> Wow.... I'm guessing those are just the facade pipes.
> The verticals, at least, are the real thing. I suspect the trumpets are, as
> well.
Maybe I used the wrong term.  The pipes up front where people can see
them are usually functional, I believe, just polished up and made pretty.
>> Any idea just how many there are in total?
> Many, hundreds, a couple of thousand?. You may do the sums yourself, if so
> inclined. :-) It's a formidable organ.
> <http://www.ruffatti.com/specs/davies.html>

Whoa.. that is impressive.  I'd love to hear a full recital, provided
the organist understands what all those pipes are for and ain't afraid
to use 'em.  I went to one here at Valparaiso University (The Reddell
Organ is also quite formidable - when they renovated it several years
ago, they added 3000 pipes that were in the original spec but not in the
original budget.  And it already had several thousand to begin with).

--

Paul Braun
Certified Music Junkie

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life" - Harlan Howard