Re: [OM] Pelicans and Telegraph Lines

Subject: Re: [OM] Pelicans and Telegraph Lines
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 09:21:26 -0600
> Interesting.  I never realized that pelicans migrate.  But white
> pelicans certainly do as evident from the range map here.
> <http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/american_white_pelican/id>

They vary their migratory locations from one year to the next. Their
concentration will make a large dent on the aquatic population which
takes a couple years to rebound. Because of this, they rarely visit
the same location in consecutive years during migration.

Pelicans use scouts. Thy scout ahead for good stopping locations and
also they use scouts to watch over the  flock while feeding and
resting. For a group of around 3000 birds, you'll have a dozen that
are up on something high or guarding the perimeter. Birds come and go,
but the moment one of the scouts moves, they all move.

AG

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx