Re: [OM] Iowa end of the world clouds - unprocessed reference shot

Subject: Re: [OM] Iowa end of the world clouds - unprocessed reference shot
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 11:44:05 -0600
> +1
> I might keep the L1 after all ...
> What was the lens? exif = nil

The DMC-L1 is one of those cameras that doesn't do everything well,
but seems to slap you upside the head with shots that you don't get
with anything else. Very uncanny how it interprets some kinds of
light. I find it makes tremendous B&W conversions, too. I'm likely to
keep it long-term as my back-up and special use camera. It looks
different (Kinda Leica-ish) and handles differently. I do love the
manual controls and all the switches on it.

Lens? The lens for this shot is the Zuiko 24/2.8. The two cloud shots
prior to this one were with the 35-80/2.8 zoom and the one following
(fence post) was the 24/2.8. The old Zuikos do extremely well on the
DMC-L1. The lens contrast seems to be an ideal match for the sensor. I
picked up a tossable DZ zoom for it to replace the busted Leica zoom,
but I really do prefer to have the manual Zuikos on it.

The sky, that evening, certainly was spectacular. Those photos were
taken about a mile north of our house in SW Iowa. The storm clouds
these past two years have been among the best I've ever seen and
almost match the ones from about 10 years ago. My all-time favorite
personal storm cloud picture is this one. That storm was pounding the
area about 40 miles north and dropping tornadoes like a thumbless
waiter:

http://www.image66media.com/page14.html

--
Ken Norton