Re: [OM] OT: Double Crane Accident

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Double Crane Accident
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 15:07:52 -0600
On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 7:45 AM, Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

>      I saw this on the evening news yesterday and finally found an online
> video.  Two cranes are trying to place a massive steel beam:
>
> http://www.craneaccidents.com/2013/12/report/double-crane-fail/
>
>      Can you say "OOOOPS!!"?

Damn.  That was scary - not to mention extremely expensive.  I think what
you had there was two inexperienced crane ops, running cranes they weren't
familiar with, and they overreached the safety margin of the booms.  Any
serious experienced crane guy will know the physics and geometry of his
crane, and will know how far out he/she can hang a given amount of weight.

Unless there was a freakish wind gust, it looked like the far crane boomed
out too far, went over the balance point and dropped the beam which then
pulled the near crane over.

Either way, if both guys survived, I'm pretty sure they're both unemployed.

--

Paul Braun
Certified Music Junkie

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life." -- Harlan Howard