Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 3/12/2013: another triple from Seoul

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 3/12/2013: another triple from Seoul
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2013 14:51:51 -0800
On 12/3/2013 7:57 AM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
> Today I had the first serious working day but thankfully, no formal dinner in
> the evening, so I was able to prowl on my own. I had received a request from
> my daughter to buy her some particular Korean nail polish and lipstick, so
> following her instructions (all research on the web, she has never been
> here), I took the metro to one of Seoul's main shopping districts, Myeondong.
> On the way, I looked at my fellow passengers in the metro, and this old lady
> was quite uninhibited about taking off her shoes and stretching her legs. In
> fact, I have noticed this during my travels in East Asia (Japan, Taiwan and
> now Korea) that the old people are sometimes just as delinquent as the young
> ;-)
>
> http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/4253606_kdsZ6C#!i=2945971913&k=rxNg5Kv&lb=1&s=O

It has become a small world in so many ways. This shot could as easily have
been taken on the SF Metro or BART trains,
or, I suspect on many other metro trains in the world. Minor differences in the
seats, is all.

> This is what it looks like (one of the neighbouring tables):
> http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/4253606_kdsZ6C#!i=2945972063&k=KP4TWnj&lb=1&s=O
>
> And this is what it looks like, ready to eat:
> http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/4253606_kdsZ6C#!i=2945972234&k=TH3Vr6s&lb=1&s=O
>
> Just like yesterday's street food, this was delicious, and also very filling
> (not in the picture is a buffet of salads that was included in the deal).

We stayed with a couple in Boston area last year. He had spent many years in
and out of Korea, I forget why. When we
bought dinner to repay in part their hospitality, he took us to a nearby Korean
restaurant. He spoke to the staff, who
knew him well, in Korean, and claimed it was very authentic. They also had a
cook at the table set-up, although more
elaborate, and we did most of our own cooking.

Nothing as strange or exotic as I had a few years ago in Oakland's Koreatown,
though. No English menu, no English
spoken. Still not sure what I ate, but it was mostly pretty good.

The biggest difference was in the prices! Medford Mass was WAY more expensive
than Seoul, or Oakland.

  Moose