Re: [OM] OT: Bad Marketing Ideas

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Bad Marketing Ideas
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2013 12:39:25 -0800
On 12/2/2013 7:16 AM, Chris Trask wrote:
>       Just came across this on the BBC online news:
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25180906
>
>       Yet another very bad idea for appeasing those in desparate need of
> instant gratification.

Let's see, guy who has built an on-line catalog and fulfillment giant from
scratch, vs. guy with no experience in the
field.

His initial strategy to avoid collecting Calif. sales tax, long running
standoff with them, final compromise to give him
a year's grace, then building a fulfillment based strategy to blunt the effect
of collecting tax was all brilliant
business strategy. Notice that the eventual strategy, like his whole business,
is based on fulfillment expertise.

Well, OK, he's also found a way to avoid collecting taxes on a lot of sales by
upgrading the place of 'affiliates' that
are out of state and have no bricks and mortar business there. Again, making
his money on placement and fulfillment
fees. I have wondered if some of those, like Rainbow Imaging, may be less than
entirely independent of Amazon.

Let's see, 'free' two day shipping and tax on some items vs. a week to ten
days, sometimes free, with no tax. I still
buy a lot of stuff from/through Amazon. B&H, Cameta, Adorama, LLBean, etc. are
all good retailers and marketers, but it
takes a week or more for their free shipping to get here. Of course, the two
day shipping is actually free to me, as I'm
piggy backing on my son's paid Prime. Did you know that's legit for immediate
family members?

Sorry Chris, I'll Back Jeff on fulfillment ideas every time. If this one
doesn't pan out, it'll more likely be technical
or regulatory problems, not a misunderstanding of his business and customers.

Deliver Me Moose