Re: [OM] PESO - Rose "Old Master"

Subject: Re: [OM] PESO - Rose "Old Master"
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2013 01:15:41 +1300
Bob Whitmire wrote:

>^> Beautiful colors! I especially like the second one, except for the out of
>^> focus left foreground lighter colored bloom. To me, it destroys what
>^> otherwise would be a wonderful textured and colorful composition.
>^>
>^> --Bob Whitmire
>^> Certified Neanderthal
>^>
>^> On Nov 29, 2013, at 11:40 AM, Brian Swale wrote:
>^>
>^> http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=9738
>^> http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=9741
>^>
>^> Rose "Old Master", bred by Sam McCredy in 1974, the first of his "Painter"
>^> series. See also   http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.2167
>^>
>^> A clue to the identity of this plant I found in a long-neglected garden
>^> finally came from a small photograph in a local newspaper gardening
>^> section !!
>^>
>^> I had been searching through rose books for ages ... and suddenly, quite
>^> by chance, there it was.

Thanks Bob. For a photo in a set taken under difficult conditions (standing on
tip-toe, peeping
around other branches, dodging wind effects, etc) mainly to enable me to
compare the
variety with photos in books and on-line databases, I was not aware it might
aspire to artistic
pretensions.

Yes, the colours and patterns of colour really can be stunning, which is
presumably why the
breeder Sam McGredy released it for commercial sale in 1974. It's certainly why
I have
bothered to spend "so" much time trying to figure out what its varietal name
might be.

I've got somewhere between 10 and 20 significant illustrated books on roses,
and it's
surprising how difficult it can still be to pick out a most likely suspect
"name" from them -
turning pages, turning pages .... I still have a few captives we inherited and
in our garden, to
fasten a name to.

I checked the plant today as I wanted to get a few shots of buds and very young
flowers, and
it has only 2 flowers at the moment - we have had a series of gale-force winds
and it's getting
a bit dry ..

Brian Swale

---