Re: [OM] Monarch Disappearance

Subject: Re: [OM] Monarch Disappearance
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 21:08:12 -0800
On 11/23/2013 6:38 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
> And yet the same study that pointed to the loss of CRP land in Iowa which
> has no affect on eastern USA populations makes reference to a single storm
> in Mexico that wiped out an estimated 50% of the entire population!

We may have fallen into the trap of applying simple logic to a complex system.
As I recall, James Gleick's "Chaos" had a
section on the chaos effects on animal populations, with sudden huge increases
or drops that make no sense from
environmental factors in any linear, sensible way.

Not trying to say this is so or not, only that is is a known factor to consider.

Simple Math Moose