Re: [OM] A bit of a tease to start the week

Subject: Re: [OM] A bit of a tease to start the week
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 06:38:38 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>> I'm just a wee bit embarrassed to say that for the most part I have adopted
>> the English English practice
>> of putting punctuation outside the quote marks because it just looks
>> cleaner. <g> But I will not give up
>> my zees. You'll get them when you pry them out of my cold dead word
>> processor.
>

> However, the position of the punctuation depends on the sense.  If the
> punctuation belongs to the quoted
> text, that's where it goes.  If it belongs to the sentence as a whole, it
> goes outside the quotation marks.

     Yes, such as when you are quoting a complete sentence with end
punctuation.  I received a number of comments years ago when using quotes
around the title of a referenced magazine article.  The comments referred to
having the comma outside the ending quote rather than inside.  Outside is the
correct usage.

Chris