Re: [OM] Hard drive isseus - UPDATE

Subject: Re: [OM] Hard drive isseus - UPDATE
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 09:41:43 -0600
That's quite interesting.  One of the main issues I've always had with the
NAS implementations is that they have problems setting up shares that OSX
can hit.  Apparently, not a problem with Nas4free.

I will shortly have access to a 4-year-old HP XW8400 tower, which has 4
drive bays and a beefy PSU (also gig ethernet) so that may be an option.
I'll have to upgrade my LAN from 100 to Gig to really take advantage,
though.

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 9:25 AM, SwissPace <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have an original macpro, which I managed to get Mavericks running on
> (I am very happy it is a great OS - never really like the lion(s) )
> anyway it has an ssd boot and 4 internal disks, I also have an old ml110
> HP file server which has four disk in it configured as raid and I boot
> it from a usb stick using nas4free - maybe thats a cheaper option if you
> can find an old PC case with enough sata controllers, nas4free is well
> free, but check the network card speed of your old PC tower/server
>
> IanW - lots of storage
>
> On 11/11/13 16:11, Paul Braun wrote:
> > Yes!  I want the speed, but right now the price is a killer.
> >
> > I would like one single, robust cabinet for something like 4 drives that
> > can run in JBOD mode, but don't want to spend the equivalent of another
> > computer for it.
> >
> > I really like Drobo's raid boxes, but the 4-drive small model is $500 for
> > an unpopulated chassis, to which you need to add at least three drives.
> > So, for a 3TB box, you're talking a sizeable chunk of change.
> >
> > -
> >

> --

Paul Braun
Certified Music Junkie

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life." -- Harlan Howard