[OM] New toys on the way

Subject: [OM] New toys on the way
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 14:32:21 -0600
I just ordered the HLD-6 and the FL-600R.  I wasn't going to originally,
but then part of my inheritance from my father's estate just cleared, and
since Dad was the one who got me into photography in the first place, and
really enjoyed my photography, I figured he'd want me to spend part of it
on some equipment and not dump all of it on bills.

I scored a factory-refurbed HLD from Amazon for $199, which is much more
reasonable.  I looked at both the FL-600r and the FL-50r, but realized that
my FL-50(non-r) would still work nicely when I needed more power, and the
compact size of the FL-600r was more appealing.  I wanted one with the
built-in radio that would talk to the E-M5 so I could experiment with
that.  It also will fit much more easily into a smaller bag for times when
I don't need the whole kit.

I held off this long on the HLD partly because of the cost, and partly
because of the argument that I wanted to keep the E-M5 small and compact.
And for the most part, I still do.  But on those occasions where I've need
to balance either a flash or a heavier manual lens, or both, I just really
needed more to hang on to and some mass to balance out the peripherals.  I
have a feeling that most of the time I'll be still carrying the E-M5 with
the light polycarb grip, but I have the extra grip real estate and extra
buttons now if I need them.

And I'm socking away some money for next year when they release that
40-150/2.8 in case it's not priced like N**kon or C**on glass.

I shall report my findings back after I've had a weekend to play with
them.  Amazon Prime tells me I should have 'em tomorrow.

--

Paul Braun
Music Junkie

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life." -- Harlan Howard