Re: [OM] IMGs: Restored 1974 Peugeot AO8 Road Bike

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGs: Restored 1974 Peugeot AO8 Road Bike
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 19:18:50 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

> > >They're attractive.  When I got a flat on one, the rim actually cut
> > through
> > >the sidewall.  I never had a tire where when I got a flat, the tire was
> > >done in.
> > >

> >      Wow, I've never heard of that happening.
> >
> I guess it was a bit freaky.  I was rolling down a very steep hill when the
> tire popped and deflated instantly.  I was probably braking even before the
> puncture, and certainly after.  A physics guy could probably explain the
> forces at the rim of that wheel.  But the Ultras are extremely thin.  Not
> great for urban riding.

     I was using CST tyres earlier as they had the thickest tread I could find
while remaining under $20, and I have yet to experience a tread puncture but I
have had a couple in the sidewall.  But, the shop where I was buying them was
sold and the new owners ditched CST in favour of Kenda.  Now you can hardly
find CST at all, and Kenda is a first runner-up.  They're not bad for general
riding, and the gumwalls are well within my budget if I buy them on eBay.  CST
also had an inner tube that was suitable for 700x25, 27x1 1/8, and 27x1 1/4, so
I only had to keep one set available as spares.  With Kenda I had to have one
set of spares for 700x25 and another for 27".

Chris