Re: [OM] BW in B&W for Nathan - Paul and Nathan

Subject: Re: [OM] BW in B&W for Nathan - Paul and Nathan
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 22:51:32 -0800
On 11/4/2013 8:57 PM, Paul Braun wrote:
> I just finally had time to compare the two side-by-side.  Philippe did a
> de-focus-ey thing with the mic and the lower part of the shirt.

As he's said, he did a lot more than that, giving it a bit or the Philitone
treatment. Very grabby, with the rough,
strong sharpening and increased contrast. Fun, but a bit over the top for a
portrait.

There are basically two things that attract the eye within an image, sharpness
and brightness. As the face isn't very
sharp, the shirt is both sharp and bright, and there are other bright things,
the face doesn't stand out.

For my version, I've blurred shirt, neck and background, and made them less
bright. I've sharpened the face as a whole a
little and really sharpened the closest eye. It's an old portrait technique to
get the primary eye sharp, the mouth and
the nose a little less so. I also cleaned out a few irrelevant, distracting
bright things.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Braun/BW_in_B&W.htm>

Another technique is to use the rule of thirds and put the primary eye at a
junction. Obvious, maybe, but still
generally effective. In this case, it eliminates a lot of distracting stuff, so
the face really stands out.

Cosmetic Moose