Re: [OM] Stuck Filter

Subject: Re: [OM] Stuck Filter
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2013 12:42:45 -0700
On 11/1/2013 6:54 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
> The last two I fought with were immensely difficult to remove. ALL of
> the regular tricks didn't work. Finally, what did where two of those
> jar opener rubber disks. I set one on the table, laid the stuck
> filters on it and then set the other one on top. At first, I tried
> using my palm to rotate it, but it wouldn't budge. I toook a book and
> layed in on it and turned that. That worked like a charm.
>
> So, for me, it wasn't just enough to have grip on the surfaces, but
> totally even grip.

Nice!

The one thing not mentioned clearly enough in the many good suggestions is the
balance of force and delicacy. Any
attempt that distorts the ring(s) will make the likelihood of success less as
more force is applied.

This is especially true of aluminum, which easily galls if large lateral force
is applied along with large orthogonal
force. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galling>

I have several times moved my attention from lots of force to more moderate
force carefully applied so as not to distort
a ring - and been amazed as the parts easily come apart.

That's why good filter wrenches fit only one size each and fit all around the
ring but for a small slit. Still not as
good as a technique like yours, I think.

Because of the risk of galling (yes, paint and anodized surfaces can gall,
too), it's best to START with good technique.
Once galling has occurred, it's more difficult.

Un Stuck Moose