Re: [OM] Paul's PAW - new Pic up

Subject: Re: [OM] Paul's PAW - new Pic up
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2013 09:38:01 -0500
On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 9:23 AM, Brian Swale <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >&> On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 10:20 PM, Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>&>
> wrote:
> >&>
> >&> This shot was one of the first with my new (well, new to me) OM 100/2.8
> >&> that I got from Steve Goss.  Not bad at all, I think.
> >&>
> >&> http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=9213
>
> I'm envious; that's a great shot and with lots of detail.
>
> Puts the heat on what I achieved in somewhat similar conditions !!.
>
> How difficult / easy was it to focus with the E-M5 in those conditions?
>
> I'm getting better at it, but it's still a bit challenging, especially if
the artist moves around a lot.  I've programmed the Fn2 button to be the
focus-zoom thingy, since it's easy enough to slide the finger over and hit
it while my eye is at the viewfinder.  It will get easier when I get more
comfortable with the focus depth.  For now, I usually use the wire mesh
ball of the microphone as a starting point.  When I get that sharp, I can
move a bit and try to find a pattern on a shirt, or guitar strap, or
performer's hair, and tweak it.

If they don't move around a lot, I can just keep shooting (spray and pray)
and hope to get some interesting expressions.  With the crowd there, it was
difficult to get into the exact position I needed - I really needed to be
back a bit to get more of the person in the photo.

This will give me good practice.  At least the combination along with the
low-light performance of the E-M5 is getting me usable images.  I am still
very interested in that new upcoming fast zoom....

Thanks!
--

Paul Braun
Music Junkie

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life." -- Harlan Howard