Re: [OM] [OT] Geology of Mull

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Geology of Mull
From: Jez Cunningham <jez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 13:50:40 +0000
Thanks Brian, i think you found the right link for the wrong thread,
or vice-versa. But the quote below is what I was contributing on the
red leaves topic:

Autumn leaves
Autumn has definitely arrived when the glorious display of autumn
leaves dominates the visual landscape. Oak leaves transform to a deep
bronze, elms to pale gold whereas beech range from orange to deep
copper and sycamores to scarlet.

Broad-leaved trees lose their leaves as they go dormant for winter.
With reduced light levels and colder nights, less photosynthesis takes
place; the green pigment chlorophyll is not replaced and starts to
break down, revealing the orange- and yellow-coloured carotenes within
the leaves. As this is a gradual process, a range of colours develop
over time, from greens to browns, through to golds and reds. What
sugars remain in the leaves that are preparing to be shed, are
converted to anthcyanin, a purple-to-red pigment. If the weather
remains dry, sugars concentrate in leaves, leading to deeper purple
colours.