Re: [OM] Fritillary, Cabbage and Sulphur, Oh My! (and a What Am I?) [was

Subject: Re: [OM] Fritillary, Cabbage and Sulphur, Oh My! (and a What Am I?) [was One shot from Moose visit to S. Hamilton]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 19:42:53 -0700
On 10/29/2013 3:51 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Oh, forgot about those couple Pearl Crescents we saw.

Those I shot were a couple of days later in Maine.

> They are the most
> commmon orange and black b'fly in our area and do resemble SB
> Fritillaries especially with spectalcles off to look through VF. A bit
> late for them but not terribly so.
>
> http://www.massaudubon.org/butterflyatlas/index.php?id=40

I figured you would know, thanks. Now properly identified on the web images.

> Great Regatta! I think the more technical term is actually "mud puddle
> club."

I've seen these before with other species, but these seemed particularly
sailboatish.

> I believe #6 might just be an Orange Sulphur that can be less
> orangy this time of year. It is complicated by the fact they interbreed
> with the clouded and look somewhat in-between as well.  The albino
> versions more often than not fool me into calling them Cabbage Whites,
> if not careful.

Couldn't prove any of it by me. :-)
> I am surprised how well that zoom performs in preserving detail on
> extension.

I keep tellin' folks that the longer Oly zooms are amazing at the long ends.
The 75-300 needs an extension to get really
close, as with the Cabbage White, and can look a bit softish at 100%, but
responds very well to FM. Biggest problem is
shallow DOF and nailing the focal plane.

> I wonder if you would  even consider a native MFT 100mm
> macro lens (if it existed) that went 1:1 or not for the working
> distance.

I've got the closest thing, as you know, the 60/2.8 Macro. Amazingly sharp. But
most flutterers and many other critters
won't let me close enough for it to be better in practice in the field than the
75-300 with tube.

Fluttering Moose