[OM] Speaking of lenses [was Speaking of sharpness ...revisit to SS for

Subject: [OM] Speaking of lenses [was Speaking of sharpness ...revisit to SS for handheld macro
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 19:26:31 -0400 (EDT)
JW writes:
>>In a practical sense, it doesn't really matter to me which macro is at
>>hand, but I know that I will handhold a 50 better than a 90 or
certainly
>>than the 135.  But if I have a tripod at hand, bring on the long ones.
>> (Make certain to bring the QR plates, eh Ken? Beat you to it!)

Seems we have a bit of a schism as to whether FL makes a difference
(independent of mag) in shutter speed required to handholdfor macro
with Moose and Chuck on one  side and JW and me on another.  I had
previously thought that Magnification was the true only factor until
investigated the geometry a tad.

See derivation that FL does indeed matter---

http://lists.tako.de/Olympus-OM/2013-09/msg00278.html

I have seen a post by FMer self descirbed as a "recovering physicist"
that the underyling assumptions
that lower magnification is just a restricted subset of the macro
estimation is basically correct though the exponent may be a tad off
depending on the usual centers of rotation occuring in typical camera
shake.

Current working estimate then is SS required for about 50% sharp is
1/FL *  (1+M)**2.
Rebuttals?

Steady as she goes, Mike