Re: [OM] Cute seal and sumptuous sunset

Subject: Re: [OM] Cute seal and sumptuous sunset
From: Peter Klein <pklein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2013 00:40:47 -0700
Thanks, Moose and Paul. Monsieur Moose, you are quite right about the
white lines around the bird, but the degree to which you see them is due
to the standard flickr view.  Evidently when they shrink the photo
down, they think it needs more compensatory sharpening than you or I do.
  If you view it at original size, the white lines almost go away.

<http://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/9661844116/sizes/o/in/photostream/>

There is a bit of a halo, though. For this one, Capture One's default
sharpening is a bit too much. I'll probably crank that down a bit and
replace the photo when I have time to look at it with non-tired eyes.
Funny, it looked OK to me last night after a couple of hours of
editing... :-)

BUT, the orange line at the edge of the mountain is on the original. It
might be an edge diffraction effect, perhaps amplified by the lens.  The
100/2.8 has a very slight bit of CA and highlight bleed. I actually like
it--the Leica Rigid (and Dual Range) Summicrons do the same thing.
Somehow both Leica and Olympus partially controlled an optical defect in
a way that I often find beautiful.

The little seal pup has been getting a lot of "awwws" from my friends.
I'm very grateful to him for showing up yesterday. I do hope he's OK.
It's normal for the mothers to leave them beached for a while while they
feed. They show up on this beach now and then, but this is the first
time I've seen one in person.

--Peter

> On 9/2/2013 9:21 PM, Peter Klein wrote:
>>   From beautiful Richmond Beach, just 10 minutes from my house.  Shot
>> using the OM-D E-M5.
>
> I've been to picnic Point Park and Meadowdale Beach Park, but not
Richmond
> Beach.
>
> Seal pup: <http://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/9658610889/>
> (with Panasonic 14-45 kit zoom)
>
> Excellent!
>
> I love it when I find such a shot. I missed a shot yesterday. As I
was going out to the car, a fox came down the street. It was moving fast
and I didn't have a long lens, so no shot. :-( I've not seen a fox
locally for years, and that was up in the park at the top of the hills.
Now I'll be hanging around outside with the long lens, hoping ...

> Light play: <http://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/9661844116/>
> (with OM Zuiko 100/2.8)
>
> Nice sunset. They can be quite wonderful there. I have a series of
shots of one
> from Lynnwood.
>
> But, for my picky eyes, something(s) have been slid too far. There is
a thin, strong, light line/halo along the top of the mountains - and the
bird has an a white halo all over. I think if you look at the original,
you will find just a dark bird silhouette.