Re: [OM] IMG: Pungo Creek Butcher

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Pungo Creek Butcher
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 14:38:32 -0700
On 8/30/2013 1:26 PM, Tina Manley wrote:
> Go to Charleston and have shrimp and grits at Husks. Better than any
> polenta, anywhere! If you buy Bob's Red Mill Stone Ground Grits, it says on
> the package: (also known as polenta). They are the exact same grain and
> grind. Difference is in the preparation.

This disagrees with on-line research. Traditional polenta is made from
cornmeal, ground whole dried corn.

Grits are made from hominy, corn cooked with alkali, in the same process used
to prepare masa South of the border. In
the process, the hulls are lost and important chemical and structural changes
occur in the grain, including the
availability of niacin. This process was a crucial part of a nutritionally
complete diet from what's now the US
Southwest to Patagonia for at least 3,200 years, probably longer.

Grits are nutritionally superior, unless the cornmeal is fortified with niacin.

I have no plans to visit Charleston, heading much further North to New England
in a couple of weeks. Perhaps this thread
will prod a couple of displaced Southerners into grits action. ;-)

Carol loves grits, but says a great, creamy polenta is still better than the
best grits she's had. She's of Neapolitan
extraction and raised in Brooklyn, so that makes sense. :-)

Culinary Research Moose