Re: [OM] OT: Temperature

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Temperature
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 11:35:31 -0400
Well, maybe.  See the following paper which has just been published.
<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/joc.3765/abstract>

What the article points out is that the reflective ability of the
typically white painted screens which shield weather station
thermometers breaks down fairly quickly with age.  The Italian
researchers have found as much as a (very serious) 1.63C difference
between daytime highs reported between new stations and 3-5 year old
stations.  But, since it's a function of sunlight exposure, the old and
new stations still agree on the nighttime lows.

I don't know what Italian temperature stations look like but I assume
that they're the same as or very similar to the Stevenson screens used
in the UK, US and elsewhere since at least the late 1800s.  This is a US
Stevenson screen which exactly typifies the problem.
<http://wattsupwiththat.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/stevenson_screen_12-27-07.jpg>

Chuck Norcutt