Re: [OM] Amsterdam eating recs

Subject: Re: [OM] Amsterdam eating recs
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 09:36:42 -0400
Being kept on one's toes, language wise, is a good thing. Using proper grammar
helps keep the brain flexible and strong, as does knowing when to break the
rules for effect.

I would rue the downgrading of English composition (or composition in any
language, for that matter) if I thought it would do any good; but I don't.
Still, I will rue away, anyway. There are advantages to being an Olde Phart,
even if it does cause considerable rolling of the eyes in others.

Speaking of language, there was a great line (several, in fact) in the movie
Quartet, which my aunt, Joan and I watched a couple of nights ago. It's a
wonderful little English film about musicians and singers in a home for same in
the countryside. One of the characters, Reggie, upon learning the unrequited
love of his life is coming to live at the home, says words to the effect: "I
had so hoped for a dignified senility."

Struck me, it did.

--Bob Whitmire
Registered Neanderthal