Re: [OM] OT: Our new wind turbine

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Our new wind turbine
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 11:57:03 -0500
> I think that the boundary layer is around 5m deep, Ken.  But I'm sure that a
> taller one would receive more wind; it's a matter of what will be allowed: we
> had to deal with radar, aircraft and people in getting this one allowed.
> Remember that it's in a crowded bit of countryside.  If you look up Gamlingay
> on Google maps you'll see how close we are to airfields and people.

The big-honkin ones we grow here have to be tall enough to clear the
corn. That's just one of the problems here. We also get a pretty
significant directional sheering from the surface drag. As the blades
keep getting longer the entire disk is subject to a wide range of wind
speed and direction. It's not uncommon to have a 30 degree shift in
wind direction from the top of the disk to the bottom of the disk.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx