Re: [OM] Sun Time Editorial

Subject: Re: [OM] Sun Time Editorial
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 11:44:06 -0600
It is possible (highly likely) that they had a bit too much staffing.
But terminating the ENTIRE photographer staff was simply amazing.
Certainly a "Dilbert Moment" of classic proportions.

I can understand outsourcing to ringers and contractors, but to just
put it in the hands of reporters with iPhones is rather off. Many of
the news photographer "greats" were ringers and contractors--and they
were also pretty decent reporters too. But the mindset is different.
Photographers typically see the scene, photograph it and then collect
any pertinant information to give the basics of news coverage.
Reporters are after a story (usually having already arrived at the
story before even arriving at the scene) and are sitting at the press
conference while the action is happening outdoors.

It is no secret that the Sun-Times has been on the serious decline for
as long as I can remember. But, in all honesty, I've always been a
Chicago Tribune fan. The only redeeming value it had was Mike Royko,
but even he left for the Trib.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx