Re: [OM] Variable ND filter and daylight fill flash

Subject: Re: [OM] Variable ND filter and daylight fill flash
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2013 10:17:59 -0400
I'd be hard pressed to find them at the moment but, IIRC, I have two
49mm ND filters, an ND2 and ND4.  They can, of course, be used in
combination to make the equivalent of an ND6.  The only time I have
*ever* used them was for fill-flash photography with an OM body whose
flash sync is limited to 1/60 sec.  If you're using ASA 100 film and in
full daylight the sunny-16 exposure is 1/100 (1/125 on an OM body) and
you're already one stop too fast for the flash sync.  Using the ND2 or
ND4 cuts the light down to something you can work with... but with the
bad side effect of requiring lots of flash power to cut through the ND
filter.  A minimum ISO of 200 is one of the bad marks I have against the
OM-D E-M5.  While the E-M5's sync speed is nominally 1/250 (and mine
seems to work at 1/320) the high minimum ISO tends to put you back
toward the old OM limitations.  The Canon 5d can be set as low as ISO 50
and has 1/200 sync speed.

Chuck Norcutt